Twilio recently optimized its platform to accommodate programmatic SMS messaging at scale. This upgrade allows for the creation of a messaging service, which enables you to dedicate multiple local Twilio numbers to a single channel, and improve SMS delivery with phone number intelligence via the new Copilot features available in your Account Portal.
Phone Number Intelligence
Twilio Copilot's phone number intelligence allows you to rely on Twilio backend logic to select the best phone number for every message. Whether it's using multiple numbers to send high volume messages or the same local recognizable number for each person to increase response rate, the aim is to remove the burden of carrier routing and regulations from the user through four dynamic features:
Scaler - distribute messages across a group of phone numbers to reach large audiences in a short amount of time.
- Geo-Match - create a local experience by automatically using local phone numbers that match country and area codes to your end-user's personal number.
Sticky-Sender - send messages with the same recognizable phone number to create a consistent experience and maintain conversation history.
Reroute - if you're using a short code, your Twilio will automatically revert to standard long-code phone numbers when a carrier is unable to receive messages from short codes.
Twilio's Geo-Match and Sticky-Sender features ensure that the relationships between your phone numbers and contacts remain constant from your first broadcast.
When multiple channels of the same type are connected to your Nyaruka account, the channel that the contact last messaged will be prioritized. Contacts can be locked-in to a relationship with a specific channel (they'll only receive messages from this channel). Geo-Match and Sticky-Sender ensure that even if your contact sends a message to the wrong channel, they'll always receive a response from the same number.
Messages with special characters or attachments can be lost in transmission due to ever-changing carrier specs. Copilot allows you to automatically format every message to ensure your content stays intact. These are the features that allow you to do so:
- Dynamic Encoding - character encoding is dynamically adjusted per carrier so that double-byte characters and even Emoji are delivered as intended.
- Outbound Message Concatenation - long outbound messages are automatically segmented and encoded for re-assembly to meet destination carrier requirements.
Adding a Twilio Messaging Service
Follow these instructions to setup your own messaging service and add it to your account:
- Login to your Twilio account and click on the products menu on the lefthand side. Then, choose the Programmable SMS tab:
2. Create a new messaging service by first clicking on SMS on the lefthand side menu. Then, click the Create new Messaging Service button.
3. Give it a name and choose your use case:
4. In a separate tab, login to your Nyaruka account, navigate to the Add Channel page, and select Twilio Messaging Service option:
5. Copy your Messaging Service SID from your Twilio portal:
6. On the Add Twilio Messaging Service Channel page, select your country and paste your Messaging Service SID in the appropriate box:
7. On the next page, copy the the request URL that we provide you:
8. In your Twilio portal, paste the request URL underneath the Inbound Settings header:
9. Scroll down to the Copilot Features header and select the features you'd like to enable for your messaging service and then click Save:
10. Next, click the Numbers tab on the lefthand side menu, and either add existing numbers or purchase numbers to add to your service:
You're ready to start sending messages. Start a flow to test out your service.
Note: Twilio trial numbers are not sufficient for testing- you will not be able to send or receive real messages with a trial number!