Using a Flow
Use the Set language for contact action to update your contacts' language preferences from within a flow. Contacts will then receive messages in their preferred languages if the flow they're interacting with has been translated.
In the example below, we're asking our contacts which language they prefer - English, Spanish or Chinese. Once the action evaluates their responses for language preference, contacts will pass through one of three Set language for contact actions we've added for each language. They'll then receive the final message in their preferred language.
From the Contacts Tab
To set a contact's language preference via the "contacts" tab:
1. Navigate to the "Contacts" tab, then click the contact whose language you want to update
2. Click on the gear icon and select the "edit" option.
3. The Update Contact dialogue will appear. Click the "Language" menu to select a language from the primary and secondary languages you've added to your account, then click "Ok."
- The default Language contact field, representing preferred language, is visible through the following pathway:navigate to contacts tab > click contact > click gear icon menu > select edit. A contacts' language preference can be referenced using the @contact.language variable, returning its ISO 639-3 standardized nomenclature (Spanish becomes 'spa').
- You’ll need to translate your flows into each of the secondary languages you’ve added to your account page.
Using a Contact Import
You can add a column titled 'Language' containing the ISO 639-3 language code (e.g. 'spa' for Spanish) to a contact import to set your contact's preferred languages. Note that all additional languages must first be added to your account via your account page.